Ph D ，Professor，A teacher at the Poultry Rearing Room of the College of Animal Science and Technology, a permanent researcher at the Key Laboratory of Agricultural Animal Genetics, Breeding and Reproduction of the Ministry of Education and the Hongshan Laboratory. A scientist at the Agricultural Science and Technology Innovation Action Post in Hubei Province, has long been engaged in the exploration of regulatory genes for important production and quality traits in poultry, as well as related research on genome selection. Led five National Natural Science Foundation projects, one National Key Research and Development Program project (project host),one major project of Hubei Hongshan Laboratory and many other projects.
The research achievements include:
1. The first to use hens' semen storage ability as an important new reproductive trait of chickens to conduct independent breeding among Chinese chicken breeds, and preliminarily figured out the heritability and repeatability of hens' semen storage ability and many other important genetic parameters and studied part of its regulatory mechanism, discovered some molecular markers for the breeding of this trait, and selected a new strain of Tanniu Wenchang chicken with high sperm storage capacity. The goal was to extend the interval between artificial inseminations from 5 days to 10 days without reducing the fertilization rate compared to before the selection.
2. Establishing an F2 resource population by crossing Turpan fightingchickens and Lehorn chickens to study the recombination of heat tolerance and high egg production traits in chickens.
3. The regulation of chicken shank color transformation was studied, with the aim of utilizing sex-linked inheritance of shin color in chickens to achieve non-destructive sex identification of embryos.
4. Investigating the genetic mechanisms behind the specific characteristics of Danzhou chickens and using molecular biology methods to construct fast-growing and slow-growing feather self-distinguishing sex identification lines.
Applied for and entered the actual examination of 6 invention patents, approved 4 invention patents, transferred 3 invention patents, and the corresponding author and co-corresponding author of 22 SCI papers in the past five years.
Representative Projects (sorted in reverse order of approval time):
一、 National Natural Science Foundation of China (5 projects)
1.Single cell multi-omics data reveals the regulation mechanism of sperm storage ability in hens. General projects, 32372865, 2024.01-2027.12, 500,000 yuan. Host, under research.
2.Identification of genes and functional SNPs controlling intermittent fertility in hens by integrated omics approach. General projects,3 2072707,2021.01-2024.12, 580,000 yuan. Host, under research.
3.Fine Mapping of the key genes that regulate shank color conversion based on the screeningresults of GWAS in Chicken. General projects, 31772585, 2018.01-2021.12, 600,000 yuan. Host, finished.
4.Identification of new genes controlling sperm storage ability variation and analysis on its molecular mechanism in chickenIdentification of new genes controlling sperm storage ability variation and analysis on its molecular mechanism in chicken. General projects, 31372301, 2014.01-2017.12, 820,000 yuan. Host, finished.
5.Mechanism of KIT & MITF differentail gene expression between black and white hair bulbs and the effect in duck plumage formation. General projects, 31172201, 2012.01-2015.12, 620,000 yuan. Host, finished.
二、 Key Research and Development projects during the 14th Five Year Plan period
1. Functional Genomic Analysis and Genetic Antagonism Mechanism of Important Economic Traits in Yellow Feather Broilers. Key R&D projects during the 14th Five Year Plan period, 2021YFD1300100, 2021.11-2026.11, 2.5 million yuan(total amount of 8 million yuan, 2.5 million yuan at my disposal). Project host, under research.
三. Major projects of Hubei Hongshan Laboratory
1.The creation of a new mating line of self-distinguishing male and female based on chicken embryo shank color. Major projects of Hubei Hongshan Laboratory, 2022hszd006, 2022.11-2025.10, 1.2 million yuan. Host, under research.
四. Other projects
1. Livestock and poultry breeding technology innovation and new varieties cultivation and industrialization demonstration. Hubei Province Technology Innovation Special Major Project, 2020ABA016, 2020.11-2021.11, 130,000 yuan. Subproject chair, finished.
2. Integrated innovation and demonstration of high-quality efficiency enhancement and green breeding technologies for livestock and poultry in Hubei Province. Project of Agriculture Department of Hubei Province, 2019.01-2020.12, 300,000 yuan. Subproject chair, finished.
3. Integrating the information of chicken GWAS and intestinal flora to reveal the mechanism of its growth regulation. National Ministry of Science and Technology, Inter-Governmental International Science and Technology Cooperation Project of National Key Research and Development Program, 2017YFE0113700, 2018.07-2020.06, 200,000 yuan (total amount 1.35 million yuan, 200,000 yuan at my disposal). Participation, finished.
4. Study on genetic stratification and genetic characteristics of existing "Tibetan chickens". Key Research and Development Project of Xizang Science and Technology Department, 2016.10-2019.12, 320,000 yuan (total 800,000 yuan). Cooperate with Deqingyuan application, host, finished.
1. Nan J, Yang H, Rong L, Jia Z, Yang S, Li S. Transcriptome analysis of multiple tissues reveals the potential mechanism of death under acute heat stress in chicken. BMC Genomics. 2023 Aug 16;24(1):459. doi: 10.1186/s12864-023-09564-2. PMID: 37587462; PMCID: PMC10429076. (corresponding author）
2. Chu J, Ma Y, Song H, Zhao Q, Wei X, Yan Y, Fan S, Zhou B, Li S, Mou C. The genomic characteristics affect phenotypic diversity from the perspective of genetic improvement of economic traits. iScience. 2023 Mar 17;26(4):106426. doi: 10.1016/j.isci.2023.106426. PMID: 37020956; PMCID: PMC10068565.(co-corresponding author)
3. Li S, Zhang X, Dong X, Guo R, Nan J, Yuan J, Schlebusch CM, Sheng Z. Genetic structure and characteristics of Tibetan chickens. Poult Sci. 2023 Aug;102(8):102767. doi: 10.1016/j.psj.2023.102767. Epub 2023 May 2. PMID: 37321029; PMCID: PMC10404676.
4. Yang L, Ruan H, Ma S, Elokil AA, Li S. Transcriptome analysis and identification of genes associated with individual fertilisation rate differences in hen infundibulum. Br Poult Sci. 2023 Apr;64(2):268-274. doi: 10.1080/00071668.2022.2149320. Epub 2023 Apr 17. PMID: 36416611. (corresponding author)
5. Nan J, Yang S, Zhang X, Leng T, Zhuoma J, Zhuoma R, Yuan J, Pi J, Sheng Z, Li S. Identification of candidate genes related to highland adaptation from multiple Chinese local chicken breeds by whole genome sequencing analysis. Anim Genet. 2023 Feb;54(1):55-67. doi: 10.1111/age.13268. Epub 2022 Oct 28. PMID: 36305422. (co-corresponding author)
6. Yang L, Yuan F, Rong L, Cai J, Yang S, Jia Z, Li S. Transcriptomic and Metabolomic Profile Analysis of Muscles Reveals Pathways and Biomarkers Involved in Flavor Differences between Caged and Cage-Free Chickens. Foods. 2022 Sep 17;11(18):2890. doi:10.3390/foods11182890. PMID: 36141015; PMCID: PMC9498551. (corresponding author)
7. Wang L, Yang L, Yang S, Jia Z, Cai J, Rong L, Wu X, Fan L, Gong Y, Li S. Identification of genes associated with feather color in Liancheng white duck using FST analysis. Anim Genet. 2022 Aug;53(4):518-521. doi: 10.1111/age.13201. Epub 2022 Jun 7. PMID: 35670225. (corresponding author)
8. Jiang F, Lin R, Xiao C, Xie T, Jiang Y, Chen J, Ni P, Sung WK, Han J, Du X, Li S. Analysis of whole-genome re-sequencing data of ducks reveals a diverse demographic history and extensive gene flow between Southeast/South Asian and Chinese populations. Genet Sel Evol. 2021 Apr 13;53(1):35. doi: 10.1186/s12711-021-00627-0. PMID: 33849442; PMCID: PMC8042899. (co-corresponding author)
9. Elokil AA, Abouzaid M, Magdy M, Xiao T, Liu H, Xu R, Li S. Testicular transcriptome analysis under the dietary inclusion of l-carnitine reveals potential key genes associated with oxidative defense and the semen quality factor in aging roosters. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2021 Jan;74:106573. doi: 10.1016/j.domaniend.2020.106573. Epub 2020 Sep 19. PMID: 33091752. (corresponding author)
10. Elokil AA, Abouzaid M, Magdy M, Xiao T, Liu H, Xu R, Li S. Testicular transcriptome analysis under the dietary inclusion of l-carnitine reveals potential key genes associated with oxidative defense and the semen quality factor in aging roosters. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2021 Jan;74:106573. doi: 10.1016/j.domaniend.2020.106573. Epub 2020 Sep 19. PMID: 33091752. (corresponding author)
11. Adetula AA, Liu X, Yang L, Fang C, Yu H, Li H, Li S. RAI14 in the blood feather regulates chicken pigmentation. Arch Anim Breed. 2020 Jul 14;63(2):231-239. doi: 10.5194/aab-63-231-2020. PMID: 34084896; PMCID: PMC8161265. (corresponding author)
12. Azmal SA, Nan J, Bhuiyan AA, Elokil AA, Ali MI, Adetula AA, Ma S, Sun C, Han Z, Yuan J, Li S. A genome-wide single nucleotide polymorphism scan reveals genetic markers associated with fertility rate in Chinese Jing Hong chicken. Poult Sci. 2020 Jun;99(6):2873-2887. doi: 10.1016/j.psj.2019.12.068. Epub 2020 Apr 10. PMID: 32475420; PMCID: PMC7597651. (corresponding author)
13. Yang L, Zheng X, Mo C, Li S, Liu Z, Yang G, Zhao Q, Li S, Mou C. Transcriptome analysis and identification of genes associated with chicken sperm storage duration. Poult Sci. 2020 Feb;99(2):1199-1208. doi: 10.1016/j.psj.2019.10.021. Epub 2019 Dec 13. PMID: 32036969; PMCID: PMC7587653. (co-corresponding author)
14. Elokil AA, Abouelezz KFM, Ahmad HI, Pan Y, Li S. Investigation of the Impacts of Antibiotic Exposure on the Diversity of the Gut Microbiota in Chicks. Animals (Basel). 2020 May 21;10(5):896. doi: 10.3390/ani10050896. PMID: 32455745; PMCID: PMC7278382. (corresponding author)
15. Yang L, Mo C, Adetula AA, Elokil AA, Akbar Bhuiyan A, Huang T, Li S. Bilateral apex pubis distance：a novel index for follicular development and egg laying status in domestic hens (Gallus gallus domesticus). Br Poult Sci. 2020 Apr;61(2):195-199. doi: 10.1080/00071668.2019.1697429. Epub 2020 Mar 18. PMID: 31774308. (corresponding author)
16. Elokil AA, Abouelezz K, Adetula AA, Ahmad HI, Mo C, Sun C, Li S. Investigation of the impact of gut microbiotas on fertility of stored sperm by types of hens. Poult Sci. 2020 Feb;99(2):1174-1184. doi: 10.1016/j.psj.2019.10.048. Epub 2019 Dec 12. PMID: 32036968; PMCID: PMC7587675. (corresponding author)
17. Elokil AA, Magdy M, Melak S, Ishfaq H, Bhuiyan A, Cui L, Jamil M, Zhao S, Li S. Faecal microbiome sequences in relation to the egg-laying performance of hens using amplicon-based metagenomic association analysis. Animal. 2020 Apr;14(4):706-715. doi: 10.1017/S1751731119002428. Epub 2019 Oct 17. PMID: 31619307. (corresponding author)
18. Gu L, Jing R, Gong Y, Yu M, Elokil A, Li S. Gene co-expression network analysis reveals key potential gene modules in utero-vaginal junction associated with duration of fertility trait of breeder hens. Sci Rep. 2019 Sep 25;9(1):13860. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-50148-6. PMID: 31554832; PMCID: PMC6761187. (corresponding author)
19. Adetula AA, Azmal SA, Sun C, Elokil A, Li S. Association of single nucleotide polymorphism at long non-coding RNA 8138.1 with duration of fertility in egg-laying hens. PeerJ. 2019 Jul 12;7:e7282. doi: 10.7717/peerj.7282. PMID: 31338259; PMCID: PMC6628881. (corresponding author)
20. Yang L, Mo C, Shen W, Du X, Akbar Bhuiyan A, Li L, Li N, Gong Y, Li S. The recessive C locus in the MITF gene plays a key regulatory role in the plumage colour pattern of duck (Anas platyrhynchos). Br Poult Sci. 2019 Apr;60(2):105-108. doi: 10.1080/00071668.2018.1564237. Epub 2019 Feb 1. PMID: 30595026. (corresponding author)
21. Azmal SA, Bhuiyan AA, Omar AI, Ma S, Sun C, Han Z, Zhang M, Zhao S, Li S. Novel Polymorphisms in RAPGEF6 Gene Associated with Egg-Laying Rate in Chinese Jing Hong Chicken using Genome-Wide SNP Scan. Genes (Basel). 2019 May 20;10(5):384.doi: 10.3390/genes10050384. PMID: 31137587; PMCID: PMC6562510. (corresponding author)
22. Elokil AA, Bhuiyan AA, Liu HZ, Hussein MN, Ahmed HI, Azmal SA, Yang L, Li S. The capability of L-carnitine-mediated antioxidant on cock during aging: evidence for the improved semen quality and enhanced testicular expressions of GnRH1, GnRHR, and melatonin receptors MT 1/2. Poult Sci. 2019 Sep 1;98(9):4172-4181. doi: 10.3382/ps/pez201. PMID: 31001634. (corresponding author)
23. Adetula AA, Gu L, Nwafor CC, Du X, Zhao S, Li S. Transcriptome sequencing reveals key potential long non-coding RNAs related to duration of fertility trait in the uterovaginal junction of egg-laying hens. Sci Rep. 2018 Sep 4;8(1):13185. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-31301-z. PMID: 30181614; PMCID: PMC6123486. (corresponding author)
24. Ma Y, Gu L, Yang L, Sun C, Xie S, Fang C, Gong Y, Li S. Identifying artificial selection signals in the chicken genome. PLoS One. 2018 Apr 26;13(4):e0196215. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0196215. PMID: 29698423; PMCID: PMC5919632.(corresponding author)
25. Yang L, Du X, Wei S, Gu L, Li N, Gong Y, Li S. Genome-wide association analysis identifies potential regulatory genes for eumelanin pigmentation in chicken plumage. Anim Genet. 2017 Oct;48(5):611-614. doi: 10.1111/age.12573. Epub 2017 Jun 22. PMID:28639704. (corresponding author)
26. Gu L, Sun C, Gong Y, Yu M, Li S. Novel copy number variation of the TGFβ3 gene is associated with TGFβ3 gene expression and duration of fertility traits in hens. PLoS One. 2017 Mar 16;12(3):e0173696. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0173696. PMID: 28301526; PMCID: PMC5354388. (corresponding author)
27. Lin R, Du X, Peng S, Yang L, Ma Y, Gong Y, Li S. Discovering All Transcriptome Single-Nucleotide Polymorphisms and Scanning for Selection Signatures in Ducks (Anas platyrhynchos). Evol Bioinform Online. 2015 Dec 1;11(Suppl 1):67-76. doi: 10.4137/EBO.S21545. PMID: 26819540; PMCID: PMC4721680. (corresponding author)
28. Apopo S, Liu H, Jing L, Du X, Xie S, Gong Y, Xu R, Li S. Identification and profiling of microRNAs associated with white and black plumage pigmentation in the white and black feather bulbs of ducks by RNA sequencing. Anim Genet. 2015 Dec;46(6):627-35. doi: 10.1111/age.12343. Epub 2015 Sep 15. PMID: 26369256. (corresponding author)
【 Representative invention patent 】 :
1. SNP molecular marker related to chicken fertilization Duration traits and its application, License Date 2019.06.21, Patent No. ZL201511003811.8, First inventor, transferred.
2. SNP molecular marker for selecting the laying rate of hens in late laying period and its application, License date: 2021.03.23, Patent No. : ZL201810428916.5, First inventor, transferred.
3. SNP molecular marker related to sperm storage ability of hens and its application, License date: 2021.06.30, Patent No. : ZL201711388334.0, First inventor, transferred.
4. SNP molecular marker for selecting sperm storage capacity of hens and its application, License date: 2021.03.03, Patent No. : ZL201810476805.1, First inventor.